Re: Searc

From: William R Brohinsky
Subject: Re: Searc
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:25:58 -0500

As neuro's post shows, croma and croche are current names for what we in
the US call 'eighth-notes'. If you consider the shape of the note (black
head, stem, one flag), the previous name of this note was 'fusa'.

This name comes from common renaissance usage where the note shape was
used rarely. In modern transcriptions, the fusa is often reduced to a
sixteenth or 32nd (double- or triple-croche). By these reductions, the
croche (now) would be equivalent to the minim or semi-minim, the former
appearing like a modern half-note (blanche) or quarter-note (noire).

So by shape:
.

.
| noire (nera, it) = semi-minim