Re: Markup question

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Markup question
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:49:16 +0000

On Sunday 16 February 2003 02:07 pm, Alexandre Beneteau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm presently writing an orchestral score an have a question about
> \markup :
>
> I have to instruct 1st violins to put the mute several bars before
> they have to play.
> I've tried to attach a markup to a R2., but it does not work (why ?),

Because centering rests is a bad idea, period, but it is an especially
bad idea in a score of any description.  Bad ideas just don't deserve
equal time.  Beats should be aligned vertically, and that is the way it
is done in this century.  It's not better because it's newer, it's just
better.

I did a book with centered rests before I knew any better.

Assuming that you will not be dissuaded, put in an additional invisible
rest or note and mark that up instead.

If you are writing for orchestra and not just typesetting, you *need*
sly, which is a necessity for large original projects.  It's at
openguitar.com. DaveA