How to organize the source?

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: How to organize the source?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:13:25 -0700

Is there a compendium or discussion of successful styles or methods of
using Lilypond available?  This would be beyond the extremely useful
templates.   I'd like to verify whether the source layout of a SA + TB +
Piano score (Cygwin/Lilypond 1.6.5) is reasonable.

As a summary of what I did ...

I needed to print each voice separately, preferrably with consistent
spacing, line breaks, marks on each print.  The score runs around 100
bars with 3 key and 5 time changes. I created 4 files:  SA.ly  TB.ly,
Piano.ly and Score.ly

In the Score.ly, I created two extra "voices", Breaks & Keys.  "Breaks"
contains nothing but spaces and \break to adjust spacing,  "Keys"
contains spacer notes and all \key, \time, \mark and other special
symbols thaty are consistent across all print variants.  I then included
these two voices as simultaneous to the 'real' voices. Thus all layout
and global ornaments are consistent.

Lilypond does an incrediable job already & has all sorts of macros to
make life easier.  Therefore, the questions
- is this a reasonable approach?
- or am I doing things that Lilypond already does for me?

/Hans