Re: How to organize the source?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: How to organize the source?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:31:26 -0800

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:13:25 -0700
Hans Forbrich <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there a compendium or discussion of successful styles or methods of
> using Lilypond available?  This would be beyond the extremely useful

Not as far as I know.  If you're curious about what other people do, you
could look at mutopia -- they have many lilypond files, ranging from
instrumental solo to SATB choir to full orchestra.

Your approach looks reasonable.  I personally have one \global voice, which
has all spaces, \breaks, \key, \time, and \mark, but there's nothing wrong
with spreading that across two voices.

For most of my files, I have one file with just the music (for example,
tetra.ly) and then a number of individual instruments -- violin1.ly,
violin2.ly, viola.ly, cello.ly, and sc-tetra.ly.  "sc" stands for score.
I made a simple script that does "ly2dvi sc-*.ly" (along with xdvi with
my favourite settings), which I can use for any project.  When I'm working
on tetra, it complies sc-tetra.ly; when I'm working on my overture, it
complies sc-orch.ly; etc.
(when I'm writing for orchestra, I split the one music file into sections --
winds.ly, brass.ly, etc)

Cheers,
- Graham