Re: caesura

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: caesura
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:57:39 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:05:41 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:
2. This symbol needs to be in the staff. It usually cuts the top two lines of the staff. I don't know enough about placing markup or other marks anywhere I want them. This has caused me difficulty for locating
other text needed on basic musical parts.

Any more hints?

Even though I am not complaining since this is a volunteer project I
am surprised that no one has needed this common (to me at least)
musical notation.

I wanted to use this when I was first beginning in Lilypond, but I
pretty much only knew about the stuff in the tutorial.  I tried using
^#"//", but in the end I gave up and wrote it in by hand.  Now I use
breath marks and fermatas in an attempt to mimic it -- not perfect, but
it's ok.

Ok.  Maybe we can work something better out here.

If I wanted to use it now, I'd try using a bold, smaller-font "//" and use
#'extra-offset to lower it until it covers those lines in the staff.

I may learn something basic about markup here. Can you give me an example about how to move a specific markup with #'extra-offset? I have tried raise without success before. Also if I can use "//" maybe I can use the actual symbol as defined in my previous post in this thread.

Consult the "fine tuning a piece" portion of the tutorial for more details
on this.

I've been there many times and have learned a lot but not how to do the above.

Thanks,

Paul