Re: frustrated building on Red Hat 7.3

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: frustrated building on Red Hat 7.3
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:49:06 -0800

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:58:38 -0800
address@hidden wrote:
> I have a copy of Fur Elise that I downloaded from mutopia, then
> hacked^H^H^H^H^H^Harranged for Flute and Viola, that I need to
> make some edits on.  But I can't for the life of me get a version
> of lilypond that reads it, or for that matter, goes through more
> than half of the test .ly files in the respective distributions.

Hmm.  Unfortunately Mutopia is down right now, so I can't check, but
what version is that lilypond source?
Near the top of the/a file(s), there should be a line something like
this:
\version "1.2.14"

If the version number is a significantly lower (or higher) number
that your version of lilypond (ie if it _is_ for version 1.2.x and
you're using 1.4.15 or 1.6.7), then you'll need to run convert-ly
on the file to convert it to the higher number lilypond format.
# convert-ly foo.ly > foonew.ly

> I'm open to any advice you can give, that doesn't involve downloading
> binaries.  Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry I can't really give any useful advice apart from checking the
version number, but it might help.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham