Re: bar spacing

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: bar spacing
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:39:51 -0500

On Sunday 23 February 2003 06:04 am, Michael Vanier wrote:
> Quick question: is there a way to force lilypond to make all the bars
> on a single line equally wide?  I realize that this isn't usually the
> right thing to do for a finished score, but I'm using it to write
> partial scores that I will fill in later at the keyboard, and it's
> more logical to not make any assumptions about how much space a given
> bar's worth of a particular voice will take up.

This is another question that probably has a programmer's and
a user's answer.  The users answer is:

1. Easier for you to understand months from now.

2. More likely to survive changes in the program.

Use eighth or sixteenth notes or rests which are invisible.
The "s" does not consume horizontal space, that won't
work.  Simply fill up the measures with equal small
time valued notes, put in any \break you might
need, and the thing is done.

You could also just use \break to get 2 2 2 2 2...
or 3 3 4 or 2 3 3 measures per line according
to the structure of your piece.

DaveA

Vive la France!
 dra@ or