Re: Shared lyrics with occasional short solos

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Shared lyrics with occasional short solos
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:35:18 +0100

I'm afraid I don't see any really good solution, but there are
some possibilities.

I've attached one possibility, namely to explicitly specify the
rhythm also of the lyrics, which means that you can use \skip
for the longer spaces.

Another alternative is to keep the \addlyrics and specify an empty
syllable (using underscores) for each note you want to skip. If you
have long spaces in the lyrics of some voices.

A third possibility is to use separate definitions for the music of
the parts with common lyrics and separate lyrics (untested sketch):

tenorCommon = \context Voice = tenor \notes \relative c' {
r4  ef'8 ef  ef4 f  \skip 1*2 % more music to follow
}

tenorSeparate = \context Voice = tenor \notes \relative c' {
\skip 1  r  f  g ef d1 \skip 1*4 % More music to follow
}

\score{
  \context Staff = upper <
     \context Voice=tenor {\voiceOne \global <\tenorCommon
        \addlyrics \tenorSeparate \context Lyrics = tenLyrs \tenVerse}

Note that you have to specify all the lyrics lines and staves first
with some empty music before you do the \addlyrics, to get them in the
correct order. See the template file satb.ly.

   /Mats

Peter B. Steiger wrote:
I'm using Lilypond (1.6.6-1, installed from RPM binaries to Red Hat 7.3) primarily for my barbershop quartet music, and I'm having a little trouble finding the right way to show lyrics.

In a typical quartet piece, all four parts sing the same words *most of the time*, but there are spots where occasionally one part will hold a note out while the other three sing a short phrase.

A brief example is here:

I added the extra harmony part lyrics by hand to the image; everything else is as Lilypond rendered it.

I see from the example files how you can either have all four parts singing the same words (TrustAndObey.ly) or all four parts singing separate words (satb.ly), but I can't figure out how to manage this one. What I have so far (without the extra lyrics) is in this source file: <a href="http://www.steigerfamily.com/pbs/bbshop.ly";> http://www.steigerfamily.com/pbs/bbshop.ly </a>

I guess it's short enough to post here too, with irrelevant portions
removed:

Can a smart person show me what I need to add to get the high tenor, baritone, and bass parts to show all the same lyrics as the lead all the way through to the end, but then add their own lyrics in the last measure (so that high tenor lyrics are above the top staff, baritone lyrics are above the bottom staff, and bass lyrics are below the bottom staff)?

Thanks!
pbs
--------
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: address@hidden
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe
\include "english.ly"

\header {
    filename="bbshop.ly"
    title = "Barbershop Quartet Test"
    composer = "Lily the Lilypond Dweller"
    arranger = "The Lone Arranger"
}

global=\notes {
        \property Staff.midiInstrument = #"acoustic grand"
        \property Staff.TimeSignature \set #'style = #'numbered
        \property Score.BarNumber \override  #'break-visibility =
#end-of-line-invisible
        \key bf \major
        \time 4/4
        \property Voice.AutoBeaming = ##f
}

tenor=\context Voice = tenor \notes \relative c' {
r4  ef'8 ef  ef4 f     r  f  g ef d1
}

lead=\context Voice = lead \notes \relative c' {
f4  g8   a   g4  f     bf1 ~ bf1
}

baritone=\context Voice = baritone \notes {
r4 c'8   a   bf4 a     r  af g  gf f1
}

bass=\context Voice = bass \notes \relative c {
r4  c8   c   d4  c     r  d  df c  bf1
}

leadVerse=\lyrics {
My4 Li8 -- ly -- pond,4 it's fine1*2 __ _4.
}

othersVerse=\lyrics {
\skip 4*5 it's4 real -- ly fine1 __ _4
}

\score {
  <
   \context Lyrics = tenLyrs \othersVerse
    \context Staff = upper <
      \context Voice=tenor {\voiceOne \global \tenor}
      \context Voice=lead {\voiceTwo \global \lead}

   \context Lyrics = leadLyrs \leadVerse

   \context Lyrics = barLyrs \othersVerse
   \context Staff = lower {
      \clef "bass" <
        \context Voice=baritone {\voiceOne \global \baritone}
        \context Voice=bass { \voiceTwo \global \bass}

    }
   \context Lyrics = bassLyrs \othersVerse

  \paper {
    indent = 0.0\mm