special rests

From: Fulko van Westrenen
Subject: special rests
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:38:36 +0100

Hello,

I try to set some barless music, a modern variant of Gregoriant chant.
There are no normal bars: bars are only used to separate the different
parts. The notes have no stems, only quarters and halves are used.
This is no problem using Lilypond. You only need lots of spaces (s1,s2,...).

\property Score.timing = ##f
\property Voice.Stem \set #'transparent = ##t
together with a clever use of \stemDown and \stemUp
\bar "||"

The problem are the "rest". In Gregorian they look a bit like bars, and
at first I tried to implement them as such. This is wrong. Rests should be
implemented as rests. The rests I would like to use are :
\fetaneomensmaximarest{\char14}
\fetaneomenslongarest{\char15}
\fetaneomensbreverest{\char16}

I have two questions about this:
-how to I select them? (I cannot call them with the normal names such as r4)
-for the other melody-lines I must force a space. How do I do that for these
special rests? (I cannot use s4)

In addition I have a completely different question. If I want to use a
different
font for the lyrics I can do that by editing the .tex file. The CM-fonts are
sometimes too thin for a good legibility, and they mix very poor with other
fonts.
The final result is not perfect, but acceptable. However, I almost always use
ly2dvi because I can define a title, etc. Is it possible to generate a tex-file
with ly2dvi, or must I hack ly2dvi to make font-selection possible?

Thanks,
Fulko