Staff movement broken by StaffGroup, implicit voiceOne?

From: Daniel Ashton
Subject: Staff movement broken by StaffGroup, implicit voiceOne?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:55:37 -0500

This is probably not news, but it tripped me up briefly today:

Using 1.6.x, organ music:

I have a bass voice which starts in the left hand, and after several bars moves to the pedal. I set it be on the pedal staff. In the \notes I began with \transpose Staff=leftHand . At the appropriate place I used \transpose Staff=pedal .

After finishing the score I went back and added StaffGroup. The transpose still happened, but it transposes to an anonymous staff inside the StaffGroup. Because I'm using HaraKiriStaffContext, the pedal staff never shows up.

To fix the problem I broke the voice into two separate voices. I now have this for the left hand:

  \context Staff = leftHand <
    \clef F
    \Key
    \context Voice \VoiceThree
    \context Voice=three { \voiceTwo \VoiceFour }

Interestingly, for the duration of VoiceFour, the notes inside VoiceThree behave as if they were stricken with \voiceOne. Which is exactly what I want, but it was a pleasant surprise.

--
Daniel Ashton      PGP key available     http://Daniel.AshtonFam.org
mailto:address@hidden         http://ChamberMusicWeekend.org