Re: lilypond-book margins yet again

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond-book margins yet again
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:16:22 +0100

The default in ly2dvi is to use 1cm margins both to the left and the
right, which is much smaller than the default margins for ordinary
documents in LaTeX. If you want the same, just say
\usepackage[margin=1cm]{geometry}
somewhere before \begin{document}. I don't see what's so complicated
about this use of the geometry package.

   /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:
Yet another confused newbie with lilypond-book margins.

I have one file with purely music definitions.  I have another part that
sets up the score, papersize, etc.  As usual, ly2dvi produces beautiful
sheet music.  I'm extremely happy with the way it looks in ly2dvi.

Unfortunately, for various reasons I want to use lilypond-book now
(because I want to stick a whole bunch of pieces together, along with a
bit of text).

Is there any easy way to make lilypond-book produce output similar to
ly2dvi?  Looking through the maillist, it appears that most people
manually set their margins, manipulate variables in LaTeX's geometry
package, etc. If that's what's required, I could spend a few days and
figure out how to do that (well, after my exams are over, I could do
that).  But is that really required?  Isn't there an easier way to do
it?

When I comment out the papersize=letter and paper20.ly from the score
setup.ly file and use the (to me) obvious tex file, I get really big
margins that doubles the number of pages in the score.
tex file:
----
\documentclass[letter]{article}
\begin{document}
\lilypondfile[20pt]{sc-vla2.ly}
\end{document}
----

Attached is the entire file (vla2.ly: music definitions, sc-vla2.ly:
paper and score setup).  Sorry for the length, but it illustrates how
drastically the margins change the score length.

Again, if I need to screw around with the geometry package, I'm willing
to do that.  I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to make
lilypond-book produce something as beautiful as ly2dvi produces.  :)

- Graham

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems