Re: MusicXML

From: Guido Amoruso
Subject: Re: MusicXML
Date: 03 Mar 2003 21:40:38 +0100

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 15:15, Thomas Willhalm wrote:
> As long as
> mudela mainly superseeds MusicXML, an external program is fine IMO.
> If musicxml2ly is finished, it would be nice to have it distributed
> with lilypond, of course. However, I expect this to happen if support
> for musicxml2ly is guaranteed by someone.
xml2ly will not be "finished" soon (if ever!), but I'll continue to work on it
as long as I can. I'm saying it will never be finished because of two reasons:
1. [obvliously] the changes in both mudela and MusicXML (which I'll intercept!)
2. some differences in the "semantic" capabilities of the two languages.

I'll explain better my mind about the last point (it would be more on topic on
the devel-list, but I'm seizing such opportunity :-)
There are expecially two things I'm thinking about:
1. in MusicXML slurs can span from one voice to another. I don't know whether
this can match any actual musical situation (but I doubt), it's probably a music
representation trick (although used in Finale, too): anyway there is no - AFAIK
-
a way to represent this with Lilypond.
2. some "spanning" music expressions (e.g.: wedges) are tied to the general
music
score (intended as time stream), rather than to single notes/parts.
This cause a problem similar to the first one: I can get the start of the
indication,
but not the end.

Is there a way to go around these problems and/or extend Lilypond to support
them?

Guido