Re: great! now I have other questions ...

From: Stef Epardaud
Subject: Re: great! now I have other questions ...
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:17:41 +0100

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:03:47PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> If you use the stable version and want the centered rest given by
> R instead of the left adjusted one given by r, you could attach the
> text to a spacing rest in a parallel line of music:
> <R2. s2.^"My text">

Ah, and so in 17/8 it would be :
<R8*34 s8*34^"My Text"> then ?
somehow this does not do what I want.

> I don't understand what you do with the empty bars, in 17/8,
> you should get a two measure rest using R8*34 or
> R8*17 R8*17, I just tried it myself.

OK, I have to confess I do something far-fetched to get to this
situation, in the middle of the song it works, but at the beginning,
after my drum header (the measure explaining the mappings) it needs an
extra empty measure. This could be caused by me putting my drum support
in a separate .ly file that I include, and defining the drum header
measure as a sort of macro.
I have attached the two files I use, this should give you a clearer
example of the problem, delbosh-drums.ly is the main file and drums.ly
is the included file.
The fea comments in it are in french, I apologize, but they should not
be relevant, and I tried to keep it clear, the fault line of empty
measure is at line 25 in delbosh-drums.ly

> I must admit I've never heard about a piece in 17/8, but I once
> played a piece in alternating 11/8 and 13/8 by some Russian composer
> who apparantly wrote it as a wedding march for his own wedding.
> I wonder how he and his bride manage to walk in rhythm. ;-)

Maybe they don't have to walk in rythm in Russian weddings ?
Maybe it's a danced march ?
For me this 17/8 piece sounded great when composed on the guitar until I
had to play drums over it and realized the time signature melted my
brains.
--
# Stef Epardaud, # Teachers have potentially more power than military,
# Java Defeater  #   the former can teach us how to not need the latter.