Re: Mixing notehead sizes in a 'chord'?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Mixing notehead sizes in a 'chord'?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:05:05 +0100

I'm not really up to date with the latest features in the 1.7.x
releases, but at least for earlier versions, the solution used to
be to make separate Thread contexts for the different note heads.
The example file input/regression/note-head-style.ly ends with
an example of how this can be done. However, when looking at the
output of this example in the document
http://lilypond.org/development/input/regression/out-www/regression.html
this particular output line of the example seems to be missing, I don't
understand why.

   /Mats

Hans Forbrich wrote:
In the piece I'm working - SATB + Piano - the Tenors have 'alternate'
notes which are designated by a reduced notehead size.  Since IMHO these
are 'one voice', ideally these alternates could be represented (Lily
1.7.13) as

<<c \tiny a \normfontsize >>4.-( <<e \tiny c  \normfontsize >>8-)

However, trying this I find that all noteheads in a chord become the
same size.

A second variant would be to create 2 voices ... (which should also
allow separate slurs/ties for each pair - also needed, but probably a
separate question)

< {c4.-( e8-) } \\ { \stemUp \slurUp \tiny a4.-(  c8-) } >

This seem to work some of the time, but occasionally the stems get out
of alignment.  More accurately, the alignment of the tiny & normal
noteheads is on the 'front' of the grob which, when stems are up, causes
the tiny and the normal stems to both be visible. (Making stems
transparent results in a gap between the tiny notehead & the 'master'
stem, therefore not acceptable.)

Related questions:
1) Any hope of getting mixed notehead sizes in a chord sometime?
1a) If it's there now, how do I do this?  (What did I overlook?)
--- or ---
2) How can I use 'stem-based' notehead alignment or nudge the tiny notes
to line up with the stems of the normal font?

Advice, corrections, pointers to appropriate doc, etc. appreciated.
/Hans

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems