Re: MusicXML

From: Ryurick M. Hristev
Subject: Re: MusicXML
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:19:48 +1300 (NZDT)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Guido Amoruso wrote:

[...]

> 1. in MusicXML slurs can span from one voice to another. I don't know
> whether this can match any actual musical situation (but I doubt), it's
> probably a music representation trick (although used in Finale, too):
> anyway there is no - AFAIK - a way to represent this with Lilypond.

I've seen this kind of slur in "The Ultimate Pop Sheet Music Collection
2000", arranged by Dan Coates, Warner Bros. Publications, 2000, ISBN
0-7579-0205-7 on pg.: 128, 129, song "I Believe I Can Fly", words & music
by R. Kelly, arranged by Dan Coates.

The slurs are on a piano staff, it starts on the bass staff and continues
on the treble. It looks like an elongated S, mirrored then rotated 90deg.
anticlock-wise. It make sense to me as being a legato starting on the left
hand and continuing on the right one.

But of course I' not an expert :-)

Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:address@hidden
Computer Systems Manager
University of Canterbury, Physics & Astronomy Dept., New Zealand