Re: 1.7.12: minimumVerticalExtent and HariKariStaffContext

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: 1.7.12: minimumVerticalExtent and HariKariStaffContext
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:03:02 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> Attached.  This also demonstrates the method of staff layout I'm using since
> I suspect the problem is mine, not Lily's
>
> To rephrase the issue ... in a multistaff situation (in my case, ChordNames
> + StaffGroup w/ 3 staves & lyrics + PianoStaff), if any intermediate staff
> disappears due to HariKari, there seems to be a certain amount of space
> reserved for that 'staff' and that increases the gap betwen the 'survivors'
> above and below.  (I use staff in quotes since this applies to staff, lyrics
> and chordnames)
>
> This is very noticeable with the Guitar ChordNames above the system, less
> noticeable but still true with regular staves.
>
> spaceTest3.ly checks this with the ChordNames line inside the StaffGroup
> definition, which really highlights the variation as staves are lost.
>
> spaceTest4.ly places the ChordNames line outside the StaffGroup.  The effect
> is only noticed when the entire StaffGroup has suicided.

This took a while for me to figure out, but you didn't use hara kiri
for the lyrics. I changed this so Lyrics, ChordNames and FiguredBass
all use hara kiri by default. I believe this fixes your problem. You
can check this for yourself by inserting

  \translator  {\LyricsContext \remove "Axis_group_engraver" \consists
    "Hara_kiri_engraver" }
  \translator  {\LyricsVoiceContext \remove "Axis_group_engraver" \consists
    "Hara_kiri_engraver" }

into the \paper block.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen