Re: Lyrics placing

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: Lyrics placing
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:05:43 -0700

Common confusion.

I went through this recently and the following is an answer ... it depends
entirely on the order of the 'lines' in the first system of the score (I say
lines
instead of staff/staves to include ChordNames, GrandStaff, Lyrics, PianoStaff,
etc.)

What's throwing you is '\addlyrics' which follows some great placement rules
that
work for basic scores but not every variation.  You, however, can override that
by
giving a complete template.  Easiest way to do this, especially since the notes
section in the score is in simultaneous (or parallel) mode, is to provide a
complete template of 1 bar that does nothing (hence totally skipped) ... so
after
the "\score { <", but before your first \addlyrics add

    \context Staff = gary { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = garyLyrics {}% places gary's lyrics below gary staff
    \context Staff = muses { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = musesLyrics {}  % places muse lyrics below muse staff
    \context PianoStaff = pianoS { s1 }    % not strictly necessary

and then name the Lyrics contexts that you are adding using \addlyrics.

A more complex example, one I used recently, gives a better feeling for the
flexibility ...

\score {
  \notes <
    %%%%%%%%%%%
    % Score layout template

    \context ChordNames = chordA { s1 }
    \context Staff = SoloA { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = SoloALyr {}
    \context StaffGroup <
        \context Staff = SAVocal { s1 }
        \context Lyrics = SALyrics {}
        \context Lyrics = TBLyrics {}
        \context Staff = TBVocal { s1 }

    \context PianoStaff <
        \context Staff = up { s1 }
        \context Staff = down { s1 }

    %%%%%%%%%%%
    % Music

    \context ChordNames = chordA { c2:m7 ... }
    \addlyrics
        \context Staff = SoloA { c1 }
        \context Lyrics = SoloLyr {
            <
                \context LyricsVoice = "lineA" {words }
                \context LyricsVoice = "lineB" {more words}

    \context StaffGroup <
        \addlyrics
            \context Staff = SAVocal { SA notes }
            \context Lyrics = SALyrics { words }
        \addlyrics
            \context Staff = TBVocal { TB notes }
            \context Lyrics = TBLyrics { TB words }

    \context PianoStaff ........

(Note - the indentation comes from many years of s/w coding, but it saves me
huge
amounts of debug time.}

HTH
/Hans