Is Lilypond right for me?

From: Alexander Basson
Subject: Is Lilypond right for me?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:07:02 -0600 (CST)

Hello, my name is Alex Basson, and I am currently the TA for Math/Music
109, a class developed by Prof. David Wright and offered at Washington
University in St. Louis.  The goal of the class is to explore some of the
many connections between math and music, and so far it has been very
interesting both for the students and for David and myself.

I am trying to create some course materials, and necessarily I'm finding
that I need to combine both math typesetting and music typesetting in a
single document.  So far, I have been typesetting the math using TeX; more
specifically, I'm using the TeXShop for Mac OS X front end, which in turn
uses teTeX implementation as its engine.  If I've stated this incorrectly,
this is because I'm fairly new to TeX and to computers in general.

I have tried incorporating music into my TeX documents by using MusiXTeX,
but so far unsuccessfully -- I've been having troubles installing MusiXTeX
correctly.  In an attempt to find perhaps a better solution, I discovered
the Lilypond website and became curious.

I'm wondering -- will Lilypond allow me to combine math and music
typesetting into a single document?  Can I install and use it on my Mac
(again, running OS X)?  Do I need a different TeX implementation?

Thank you in advance for any help and assistance you can give me.  I
sincerely appreciate your time and consideration.

Alex Basson