Re: altering the tempo of a MIDI file

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: altering the tempo of a MIDI file
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:36:47 +0100

Mostly, MIDI is interpreted by your soundcard (unless you use a
software MIDI interpreter like Timidity) and the MIDI "standard"
has probably as many interpretations as there are chip manufacturers.

One thing to try is to insert the \tempo directives directly within
the music of each stave. Try both with and without including it also
in the \midi{...} section.

   /Mats

Milan M. Horák wrote:
clive CATTERALL scripsit:

I have tried altering

\midi  { \tempo 4=120}

up to

\midi  { \tempo 4=240}

with no noticeable effect.

I had the same problem under Linux (RedHat) / KDE. A friend of mine having the same configuration had no problems. MIDI files built by him und by me were the same, but in his computer they had various tempos, in my computer they had only the tempo 120 - that is why I think it was no LilyPond bug. Nobody could understand, what the problem was. Now, after updating LilyPond, OS-version and sound card, I have no problems more.
Regards
     Milan Horak

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing