Re: Lilypond and OCR?

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Re: Lilypond and OCR?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:13:58 +0100

The solution I use is a shareware Windows program called
SharpEye (see http://www.visiv.co.uk); it can generate NIFF
(a portable notation interface that seems nearly abandoned),
and I wrote a filter to translate NIFF to lilypond, which is
still fairly alpha.

SharpEye comes in two versions; both claim to expire in a month,
but version 1 continues working without registration, at least
for me. It is quite good, at least compared to the Optical Music
Recognition stuff bundled with recent versions of Finale. On
well-printed music it achieves >95% correct recognition --
which is still <=5% off...
Version 1 does not handle dynamic signs, grace notes etc.

My filter can convert single-voiced NIFF to lilypond (incl chorded
voices). If there are multiple voices per staff, my voicing analysis
is still premature. One day I want to improve this -- maybe next
holiday already. The filter does not support lyrics (yet), but
there seems no reason why that cannot be added.

If anybody is interested in my filter: you are welcome to get it,
just ask.

Rutger Hofman
Amsterdam

David Mays wrote:> Hello,
I am wondering if there is any development going on with OCR in Liliypond similar to Neuratron Photoscore for Sibelius.

Thank you,
David Mays