Re: Lilypond and OCR?

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: Lilypond and OCR?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:02:10 -0700

Rutger - I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of your niff2ly filter.

I use SmartScore from MusicTek.  This one is associated with Finale, not
Sibelius.

The recognition can be reasonably good - if you are lucky (95%+ on good quality
printing, and I actually had
one at 100%).  Recognizes lyrics moderately well, poor on articulations.
Depending on version, handles '2 to
unlimited' voices, but I find it gets confused - a lot - keeping multiple
voices straight on a single staff.
Doesn't seem to handle staff-switching.  Does a good job on (piano) chords.
One version apparently recognizes
tabulature (no experience).

Difficulty comes in the transfer to Lilypond - internal format (enf), MIDI or
NIFF 4 & 6a or Finale (fin)
Since I ended up primarily doing one-voice-at-a-time midi & midi2ly (time skew
bug, 6 vocal + piano voices),
and had a deadline, this was not necessarily a pleasant experience.

/Hans