Re: segno (and so ...)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: segno (and so ...)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:21:55 -0500

On Monday 31 March 2003 09:06 pm, Paul Scott wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> >On Monday 31 March 2003 05:32 am, Joerg Anders wrote:
> >>Hi all!
> >>Some users requested LilyPond export of segno, dal segno ... in
> >>NoteEdit. I've problems to understand the system. (I never was
> >>at music school) Maybe it is too easy ;-) Note! I have to
> >>implement the replay!
>
> >An illegal workaround is to have a 1.3. alt and a 2.4. alt.
> > Another is "D.C. with repeat".
>
> I don't know why you would call it an illegal workaround.

It's fairly new, that's all.  And I certainly concede that the fermata
instead of fine is legal, but I have never seen it and I think
that most would not understand it.

Maybe it's more helpful to list what would be totally understood
today and might serve as a minimum acceptable
implementation.

D.C,, D.S,, the coda sign, and fine will be adequate for
almost everything.  The coda may appear as an
alternative ending instead of as part3 at the end.

part1 codasignwithvoltabracket coda  fine part2  D.C.

or

part1 codasign part2 "D.C." codasign coda

are both played:

part1 part2 part1 coda

The former might be preferred if the coda were only a
few measures long.

--
Don't grasp the nettle firmly.
Just let go of the damn thing.