Lilypond as a composing tool

From: David Jaquay
Subject: Lilypond as a composing tool
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

I'm pretty new to the whole world of music, so please forgive if this question
is clue-free, but how useful is Lilypond during the composing of a piece?
After lurking here for a while, it seems that Lilypond is *very* useful to
people wanting to put together top-quality scores to hand to performers, but is
it a good tool for use during the composing process?

I'm primarily running Linux and am rather committed to Open Source, and am
interested in getting into composing, and am starting to look into tools to
help me record and/or massage my (ahem) genius.

All help and ideas greatly appreciated,
Dave