Re: notes in order?

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: notes in order?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:27:14 -0700

Hans Forbrich wrote:

I find that Lilypond has an interesting interpretation of the ' and ,
relative-pitch marks.

They are only relative pitch marks when using \notes\relative. Otherwise they are absolute pitch marks.

The way I look at it, a note has a number of close neighbours.  The
neighbourhood seems to be roughly +4, -5 semi-tones.  If 'note + 1' is within
the neighbourhood, you do not need (or even want) to use a relative-pitch
mark.

The marks are only used to jump outside the neighbourhood.  So an increasing
scale would end up simply as

g a b c d e f g

and a decreasing one would be

g f e d c b a g
That's for \notes\relative not for \notes as Bryan's example showed.

Paul