Re: [Newbie] font problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: [Newbie] font problem
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:55:40 +0200

Tanguy wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

 >> but they don't look good yet in my ps file; the notes heads
 >> appear as dots. any idea ?
 >

 > Clearly, you still don't get the correct font files.
 >
 > In another email, you got the question if you
 > had "ran" buildscripts/out/lilypond-profile, of course
 > the relevant question is if you had "sourced" the file.
 >
 > What do the following commands return?
 > kpsewhich feta20.mf
 > kpsewhich feta20.pk
 >
 > Do you get correct fonts if you run
 > ly2dvi -P example.ly
 >
 > What Lilypond version do you use?
 >
 >    /Mats

er... what do you mean by sourcing the file ?
(i think my english must no be that good :-s)
i just ran the scripts from the bash shell, did
i forget something ?

The settings done in these scripts should be done in
your current shell, so you should do something like
'source lilypond-profile'
If you just run the file as a command, it will be
run in a new process and the settings will not apply
to your current shell (this is obviously what you did
since the variable settings are missing in the log file
you included).

The best alternative is probably to copy the file into
/etc/profile.d/lilypond.sh
(I think it's necessary to rename it to have suffix .sh)
if you run RedHat. That's the way it's done in the RPM
for Lilypond. All /etc/profile.d/*.sh files are sourced
as soon as you start a new shell. An alternative is to
copy the lines into your own  ~/.profile if you have
several users on the system and don't want to install
Lilypond system wide.

You mentioned in an earlier mail that you had changed
texmf.cnf. I don't recommend that, it's better to use
the settings in the lilypond-profile file.

here is the output of kpsewhich:

$kepsewhich feta20.mf
/usr/local/share/lilypond/1.6.6/fonts/source/feta20.mf
$kepsewhich feta20.pk
/var/lib/texmf/pk/ljfour/feta20.600pk

i don't get the correct font when i type  ly2dvi -P example.ly
i use lilypond v1.6.6, i compiled it from the source on a redhat 7.1.

btw, i went on searching in the messages in the archive,
and found cases who looked quite similar to mine.
i try to compile the pfa fonts, but i get errors (i also
had to get some other packages, autotrace and ttf2pt1,
but i still cannot compile these fonts. do i *have*
to get them? i will have to produce pdf files from my
scores, to share them with my friends. note: i have pfa
files in my /usr/local/share/lilypond/1.6.6/pfa directory)

do you need the outputs of ly2dvi, or the compile errors ?
(i paste the output of ly2vi -P --verbose at the end)

See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-04/msg00119.html
for some more information on the merits of .pfa versions of the fonts
and instructions on how to download them if you don't want to install
all the mftrace package yourself.

I also recommend to upgrade to the latest stable Lilypond version,
1.6.9, which among others contain bug fixes for some font related
problems. Don't forget to read in INSTALL.txt on how to remove old
font files.

    /Mats