Re: alternatives

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: alternatives
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:00:11 +0200

First of all, your Lilypond version is very old, I recommend to
upgrade to the latest stable version 1.6.9 (note that 1.6.7 and
some earlier 1.6.x version contain a bug that gives the wrong fonts
in PDF files). The answer below applies to 1.6.9, I don't have access
to a manual for your version but hopefully this was implemented already
then.

You can manually specify the text on the different endings, see
http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Manual-repeat-commands.html
and search http://lilypond.org/stable/input/test/out-www/test.html for repeat-manual.ly. Then, you can say for example 1-5,7-8 on the first
repeat.

   /Mats

Jan Kohnert wrote:
I wan't to write some sheet of music in popsong format (Lilypond-1.4.10) and I need alternatives. But if I try with \alternative {} I have only the chance for the first alternativ from 1-N and then afterwards N+1, N+2, ... But I need the first alternative from 1-N exept some number f.e. 3, and then the second alternative only with the 3. I send my .ly-File with this Mail (It istn't really at the and, so the lyrics and chords are a little bit out of order, but I hope you can see the problem: The break comes after the second stanza and all the other endings of the stanzas are the same, so why do I have to write all the endings explicitly (in fact that's a very ugly style. I hope you can help me, I'm new to lily, and did only find how to set alternatives principally, but not how to type in my special case.
And by the way, how do I get the title a little bit more away from the notes?

Thank you!!!

Regards Jan Kohnert

% Generated automatically by: lilypond-book.py
% options are
filename=/var/www/lilypond/src/lilypond-1.6.9/input/template/melody-lyrics-chords.ly
 printfilename
\include "paper16.ly"
\paper  {
  linewidth = 433.619940\pt
}

\header {
  texidoc = "popsong format: chords, melody and lyrics."
  title = "Paranoid"
  composer = "Black Sabbath"
}

melody = \notes \relative c'' {
\key g \major \repeat volta 5 {
      g'8 g ~ g g ~ g g ~ g g ~ | g  e ~ e e ~ e e ~ e4 | d8 d ~ d d ~ d  fis ~
 fis4 | fis8 e ~ e4  e2 |
      g8 g ~ g g ~ g g ~ g g ~ | g  e ~ e e ~ e e ~ e4 | d8 d ~ d d ~ d  fis ~
fis4 | }
\alternative { { fis8 e ~ e4 e2 | \break }
      { fis8 e ~ e4  e2 | g8 g ~ g a ~ a g ~ g4 ~ | r1 | r1 | a8 a ~ a a ~ a a
~ a a ~ | a16 g e8 ~  e4 r2 | r4. g8 ~ g e d e | d1 | r1 | }
      { fis8 e ~ e4  e2 | }
      { fis8 e ~ e4  e2 | }
      { fis8 e ~ e4  e2 | }

text = \lyrics { <
  \context LyricsVoice = "duet-1" {
    \property LyricsVoice . stanza = "1"
    Finish- ed with my wo- man 'cause she could- n't help me with my mind Peo-
ple say I'm in- sane be- cause I am frou- ning all the time.
  }
  \context LyricsVoice = "duet-2" {
    \property LyricsVoice . stanza = "2"
    All day long I think of things but no- thing seems to sa- tis- fy Think
I'll lose my mind if I don't find some- thing to pa- ci- fy.
    Can you help me oc- cu- py my bra- -  in? Oh- - -  ye- ah
  }
  \context LyricsVoice = "duet-3" {
    \property LyricsVoice . stanza = "3"
    I need some- one to show me the things in life that I can't find I can't
see the things that make true hap- pi- ness, I must be blind.
  }
  \context LyricsVoice = "duet-4" {
    \property LyricsVoice . stanza = "4"
    Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry Hap- pi- ness
I can- not feel and love to me is so un- real.
  }
  \context LyricsVoice = "duet-5" {
    \property LyricsVoice . stanza = "5"
    And so as you hear these words - tell- ing you now of my state I tell you
to en- joy life I wish I could but it's too late.
  } >
}

accompaniment = \chords {
  e1:min e1:min  d1 d2 e2:min e1:min e1:min  d1 d2 e2:min
  e1:min e1: min d1 d1 e1:min e1:min d1 d1
}

\score {
  <
    \context ChordNames \accompaniment
    \addlyrics
      \context Staff = one {
        \property Voice.autoBeamSettings \override #'(end * * * *) =
#(make-moment 1 32)
        \property Staff.automaticMelismata = ##t
        \property Staff.voltaSpannerDuration = #(make-moment 1 1)
        \melody
      }
      \context Lyrics \text

  \paper { }