Re: layout tweaks

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: layout tweaks
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 02:16:55 -0700

On Wed, 14 May 2003 11:31:48 +0000
David Bobroff <address@hidden> wrote:
> In working on a project I'm finding that sometimes a system will have a lot
> of music on it.  I know that I can add \break and \noBreak to make
> adjustments.  I often find that using \break produces unexpected/unwanted
> results as well.

What kind of wierd results?  I use \break relatively often (although the music
is fairly simple), and I don't have any problems with it.

> One feature that Finale has that I have found to be most useful is the
> ability to force a set of measures onto the same line.  Could Lilypond do
> this?  Something like \sameSystem{lilypond code} would be easy enough to
> use.  Maybe it would not be so easy to implement.

I'd do it like this:
\time 4/4
s1*4 \break
s1*4 \break
s1*4 \break
... etc

Of course, that won't work if \break does bad things to your music.  Could
you give an example of an unexpected/unwanted result of using \break or
\noBreak?

Cheers,
- Graham