Re: Lute tablature

From: Taco Walstra
Subject: Re: Lute tablature
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:36:19 +0200

On Monday 19 May 2003 17:58, you wrote:

>     Taco> About your Dowland edition: EVERY luteplayer prefers the
>     Taco> lutetablature to some modern notation. A tablature part
>     Taco> should exist in every dowland edition.
>
>     >> Well, dra obviously disagrees with you,

I should have written: every luteplayer would prefer lutetablature for
Dowland, because the music is originally written in tablature. Lutenists
somehow (well, I'm one) want to keep to the original as far as possible. Type
setting programs like fronimo, tab and stringwalker all have fonts which make
the music look as 'original' as possible. (I think this is not really
necessary and far less important if the program performs better on
combinations of tab and normal notation). when playing with an orchestra I
surely prefer normal notation in whatever format (figured bass, staff or
whatever).
I still didn't get the complete picture for lilypond: It's possible to use
letters instead of numbers including the omission of stems. Is it correct
that it is not possible to add the rhythm horizontal above the lines?
I didn't try anything like this yet.
Would it also be possible to use numbers but the concept 180 degrees rotated?
I.e. the first open string indicated by 'a' of the first line converted into
'0' on the 6th line (this is the so-called 'italian' tablature).
Taco Walstra