Suppressing the printing of default objects

From: Nigel Warner
Subject: Suppressing the printing of default objects
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:09:25 +0100

Dear All,

        I am using 1.6.8-4 under Cygwin and XP.

        I am using lilypond-book to write some text about music
and want to include some non-standard illustrations - for example,
a stave embellished with a clef and a series of 7 key signatures
one after the other. To distil the picture down to it's basic
constituents I want to suppress the printing of the standard bits
of stave furniture at will. The following morsel of code is my
first attempt to suppress the printing of a default time signature
but it does not do so.

 \score {
  \context Staff <
  \property Staff.TimeSignature \override #'transparent = ##f
        \notes {
        d'8 e' g' g' fis' g' a' a' |  g' fis' c' d' d' d' r4 |  }

}

        If anyone can shed some light on this, or the problem of
suppressing the printing of objects in general I would be grateful.

        Secondly, I have acquired the source and installed it but have
been unable to generate the internals documentation using the incantation:

        make -C Documentation/user/ out/lilypond-internals.html

whilst standing in the top level directory - which is very vexing.

        Thirdly, just in case you were wondering, I am doing this in Windows
as Mandrake 9.1 does not support my motherboard/nvidia chipset yet so I am
without sound under Linux. Does anyone know how to write to a NTFS partition
from Linux ? As far as I can tell Linux is mounting it read/write but I
can't
seem to write to it.

        Regards,

        Nigel Warner.