Re: Lute tablature

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Lute tablature
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 07:34:37 -0400

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 05:28 pm, William R Brohinsky wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> > Guitar tab is utterly beneath me.  I have utter contempt for it.
> > Banjo tab is necessary to supplement notation, not to replace it.
> > Lute tab is the language of a dead instrument, and it is a large
> > part of the reason that the instrument is dead.  Of course one
> > needs stems, but tab stems aren't worth much because tab only has
> > *one voice*, and that is a *serious* limitation in spite of all the
> > braggadoccio coming from some other lute players.  DaveA
>
> Now that Mr Arnold has, again, ably disqualified himself from the
> discussion of lute tablature,

More braggadoccio, Mr. Brohinsky?  You said that notation "fixes" the
interpretation, and at the same time you say that tab does not need
interpretation, because everyone should study the music *of the time*
to figure it out.  Then you say that the lute is not a dead instrument,
still advocating those attributes of death.  You contradict yourself
constantly.  You have disqualified yourself from making sense.

Tablature does not require stems if it is with notation, and tab
without notation is a bad idea, always was, and always will be, for the
reasons stated many times, by many people, all of whom I don't doubt to
be better musicians and composers than you, over and over and over
again.  The issue is *exactly* the same no matter what the instrument,
or whether letters or numbers are used.   You continue to misquote me
and argue with a point I never made.

It is strange that you insult me for playing more fretted instruments
than you do.  What does that come from, some sort of glorying in
ignorance?   The perverse snobbishness of the monomaniac?   You tell me
how to tune a lute?   You wish that I couldn't tune my 7 course
renaissance lute?   DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.
The wars are not over.  Just the winning part is over.