Re: Lute tablature

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Re: Lute tablature
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:00:01 +0200

Hi fellow listers,

following all the heated discussion about the pros and cons of tablature,
something left me wondering: Can you please clarify to a guitar-playing
non-lutenist how tablature distinguishes:

        < { g8 e a f g e f d | e c d b c2  }
          \context Voice = other { c,4 c c a | g g c2 } >

from the (differently sounding, without a doubt):

        < { g4 a g f | e d c2 }
          \context Voice = other { c,8 e c f c e a d | g c g b c2 } >

when both would lead to the following in French tab for 6-course renaissance
lute in G (I'm not doing stems here, they don't matter for this example):

        ______________________________
        _f___h___f___d___|_c___a_____|
        ___h___i___h___f_|___d___c_d_|
        _h___h___h___e___|_c___c_____|
        _________________|___________|
        _________________|___________|

which, according to the guidelines posted here by raybro would sound more like
a third variety:

        < { g4 a g f | e d c2 }
          \context Voice = other { r8 e4 f e d8~ | d c4 b8 c2 }
          \context Voice = third { c,4 c c a | g g c2 } >

How do you indicate the two aforementioned ways of execution in the tab?

True, this example is contrived and neither elegant nor beautiful, but it
serves to illustrate my problem.

Curious,

Amy