Re: using lilypond tab for French lute tab

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: using lilypond tab for French lute tab
Date: 24 May 2003 19:58:01 -0400

    >> The tab-note-heads-engraver explicitely denies note heads on the
    >> lines:
    >> int pos = 2 * tab_string - number_of_strings - 1; // No
    >> tab-note between the string !!!

    Rune> No, it explicitly denies note-heads between the strings - that is not
    Rune> the same :-)

I think what it denies is that there can be a tab on the "space".
That is, tab only tells you what is happening on a particular string.
In other words, this is one of the ways in which a TabStaff is
different from a normal staff, that there are only lines and not
spaces.

I'm not trying to change that; I just want to change the way a letter
associated with a line is printed.  Which is what Jan's extra-offset
suggestion accomplishes.

    >> so you'll have to use LilyPond's \override mechanism with extra-offset.

    Rune> No. :-)

Why not?  Dowland, and his users, and by extension modern lute-players
who've learned to play tab from Dowland facsimiles, were used to
having the tab letter on top of the line, rather than with the line
through it.  This made it much easier to tell the difference between
"c" and "e", for instance.

I realize it might be a problem for someone who was used to the kind
of guitar tab lily produces by default, but that isn't really my user
base.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
(If I haven't invited you to my party on June 7, I'm sure it was an oversight.)