Accidents

From: Michael Smith
Subject: Accidents
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:49:38 +0000

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have completed the tutorial and started coding my first piece of music. There is a problem that I cannot find a resolution. I am currently using lilypond to update some of our choir music that was written many years ago. One song is "Eternal Father" and I thought this would be a good start for using lilypond.

I actually need to add a total of four voices but I thought it would be best to get this notation working correctly before moving on with the voices.

Here's my problem: When I view the music in adobe, all the b, e, a and d are shown as naturals. Obviously these should not be shown as flats. I am attaching the eternal.ly and eternal.pdf files for your review. I'm sure there is a simple solution for this. Also, I have the same problem when I use the \key es \major but not when I use \key c \minor. This one really puzzled me since they both have b flat, e flat and a flat.

How do I get the natural signs to not display?

By the way, I have used other software such as Voyetra's Maestra and lilypond has it beat by a long shot.

Also, I have a another question for you: when working with two voices where the voice1 has a quarter note that is a middle c and the voice2 has a half note that is also a middle c, how to space the notes so they do not overlap and look like both voices have a quarter note? Maestra cannot do this. We have several measures where the first and second tenor have the same for a different duration.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael