Re: unable to launch Lilypond

From: Richard Grubb
Subject: Re: unable to launch Lilypond
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:34:44 -0500

I use Mac OSX, but version 10.1.5, not anything newer yet.

I will add to Graham's reply first. To start a new shell in the Terminal application, just click on the Shell menu, and select New. You can either close the current shell window or not. But only new Shell windows will be able to launch Lilypond. I won't go into the reasons why right now.

I do recommend "Mac OS X Unleashed" by John and William Ray. I did not like "Mac OS X, The Missing Manual" as well. Nothing really wrong with the second book, but the first book had more information, and the second book added nothing to the first. I also would recommend "Unix in a Nutshell" by Daniel Gilly and the O'Reilly staff, and "Unix System Administration Handbook" by Evi Nemeth and others. But "The Missing Manual" should be sufficient to get you started.

As Mats said, LiliyPond does not include a graphical interface. If you have read the tutorial by now, you will see that the general procedure is to prepare a file with LilyPond commands, and then telling LilyPond to process that file by typing things like "ly2dvi ..." in your new Shell window.

Besides going to the web site at www.lilypond.org, you can type "man lilypond" and "info Lilypond" (but you will have to know how to navigate within the info program).

You can write directly to me for UNIX questions, but I am not much help in solving LilyPond problems.