Re: swing eighth notes in sound output?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: swing eighth notes in sound output?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:53:36 -0400

On Monday 16 June 2003 11:34 pm, Niki Pantelias wrote:
>   Hi everyone,
>
>   I'm a new user working on some jazz arrangements using LilyPond,
> and would like to get lily to understand "swing" eighths -- i.e,
> handle the music so that regular eighth notes appear in the paper
> output, but in the sound file, these are played with a "triplet"
> feel.  Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

A separate midi version may be the only way right now.
You could use \time 33/32 a8 \time 31/32 a8 (experiment) or use
very large time values with ties for the long notes.

You will find that jazz 8ths are much closer to straight 8ths
than they are to a triplet, or even to a 3:2 quintuplet.  I
imagined that the latter would do it until I tried it.  DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.
The wars are not over.  Just the winning part is over.