Fwd: Re: swing eighth notes in sound output?

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Fwd: Re: swing eighth notes in sound output?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:16:19 +0200

Hi David, all

> A separate midi version may be the only way right now.
> You could use \time 33/32 a8 \time 31/32 a8 (experiment) or use
> very large time values with ties for the long notes.

I doubt that it's necessary. The sound generated by Lilypond sounds pretty
machine-like, as it is. Jazz phrasing won't make it more humane.

> You will find that jazz 8ths are much closer to straight 8ths
> than they are to a triplet, or even to a 3:2 quintuplet.  I
> imagined that the latter would do it until I tried it.  DaveA

That depends on the tempo. The faster you play, the straighter they are. On
slow blues, I even sometimes find myself exaggerating the triplet. On M.M.
250 or 300 however, it's almost entirely straight.

Cheers,

Amy