Re: Errors building 1.7.22 & SuSE 87.2 (gcc 3.3)

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: Errors building 1.7.22 & SuSE 87.2 (gcc 3.3)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:47:39 -0600

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> The flex that you use is not compatible with your g++.
> Update your installation or send a bug report to SuSE.

Many thanks - I upgraded to flex 2.5.31 from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lex and the "make all" completed.  Now to
complete the install & test.

I recommend the Install document be updated to reflect this location for the
flex sources.  Possibly after the warning about Flex, you might want to add
"The latest builds for gcc 3.3-compatible Flex are available at the
SourceForce Lex project site" and reference the
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lex

FYI - My confusion arose from the Flex website (which has not been updated
since April 2000).  The software directory it identifies only goes up to Flex
2.5.4a.  Since SuSE 8.2 is delivered with Flex 2.5.4, I incorrectly assumed
2.5.4a is the highest available version.

Again, many thanks to all you you for such a great piece of software.
/Hans