Re: alternate note of trill and its accidental

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: alternate note of trill and its accidental
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:29:10 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
> > Notice that Lilypond considers the grace notes to have zero duration.
>
> Did you mean for playback or in terms of print spacing? Is that related
> to why there are problems with grace notes and bar lines, etc.?

no, in fact it is more complicated than that. Grace notes occur in a
special "duration" type:  each time-stamp has two elements, normal
time and grace time.

In

  c4 \grace { c16 c16 } c4

events occur at

  (0,0)
  (1/4, -1/8)
  (1/4, -1/16)
  (1/4, 0)
  (1/2, 0)

Where each pair denotes (normal-time, grace-time).

Notice that this model also neatly allows for grace notes after the
main note (just use positive grace-time), and allows grace notes
across voices to be synchronized (unsynchronized graces could be faked
using \times).

The hard part of this model is that you have to convert from nested
music expressions to grace-timing. This was a lot of work to get
right.  This is also the reason that I'm reluctant to add grace-notes
after the main note, because it would involve another significant
amount of work.