Re: Split stem for different pitches on same staff level

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Split stem for different pitches on same staff level
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:17:32 -0400

On Sunday 29 June 2003 05:18 am, P Scott Horne wrote:
> In the key of D-flat major, I wrote
>
>       <d,16 bes'> <a' aes> <d, bes'>
>
> and got for the middle chord two noteheads side by side, preceded by
> a natural sign with a flat sign superimposed.
>
> Aside the obvious error (presumably a bug) of superimposing
> accidentals, this notation is incorrect.  Standard practice

Almost, maybe.  Schott has used this |\ instead of /\ that.
To me it looks better than the Y.  Gardner Read in inventing
this notation did not consider that there might be many other
notes in the chord, but the engravers at Schott did.

A zero tuplet bracket is a far better idea.  It really adheres
better to music engraving tradition, which did not use tools
which draw lines at angles other than vertically or horizontally
from a point.  Other angles were ruled between points, but
protractors weren't used AFAIK.

A zero tuplet bracket also can be used whether or not separate
voices are being noted, to clarify passages where chords sprawl
horizontally because of seconds, unisons, dotted notes and accidentals.
DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.
The wars are not over.  Just the winning part is over.