Re: Soon 1.8 release?

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Soon 1.8 release?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:16:05 -0700

Jeremy wrote:

HWN> Do you have some scans for me? I've never seen graces at the end of
HWN> bars, save for the graces following a trill.

HWN> Getting grace notes right in various combinations is a lot of work, so
HWN> I don't really want to add \aftergrace as well, unless it is really
HWN> necessary.

Here (do you mind if this is a facsimile?):
  * http://tinyurl.com/dzmu/duphly.jpg

The bass is a typical Alberti type bass, very common at the period
(18th century), which coincides with the apparitions and growing
popularity of the piano-forte. Using two graces after white, is a
very, very common effect.

Of course, that is not the only use of graces at the end of a
measure, but it is most accessible one, as I had the scans on my hard
drive.

Two other cases were graces are problematic are in the two excerpts
below:
  * http://tinyurl.com/dzmu/duphly2.jpg
    In this one, I have a hard time believing the long unmeasured end
    phrase would look good in Lilypond at all.

  * http://tinyurl.com/dzmu/duphly3.jpg
    It is simply impossible to reproduce the second bass measure, in
    the bass part, without using a dirty hack with font size changes.
Indeed. These examples are extremely common and are essential for printing music. A basic of my music studies.

Paul Scott