Italicize alternate verses

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Italicize alternate verses
Date: 17 Jul 2003 11:06:05 -0400

I'm trying to use the font-shape property to italicize every other
verse in a piece with 8 verses.  This is commonly done in some
hymnals, and I find it helps to find the right verse when you move to
the next line.

The problem is that lily seems to apply the property vertically --
that is, if words in one verse are italicized, the same syllables in
all the other verses are italicized.  This defeats the purpose of what
I'm trying to do.

I've attached a simple example cribbed from input/test/caps.ly:

What I'm trying to do is to get Buddha to be italicised, but Krishna
to remain roman.

Is there some other way to set the property so that it applies to only
this verse, and not to all the lyrics?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139