Re: Clever pagebreak

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Clever pagebreak
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:38:27 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
address@hidden writes:

Hello,

Is it possible to ask for clever page break?
I mean that if it is possible, it is nice to have rests before turning over a page. It seems that this feature is not possible because lily does not handle pages but only lines but I am not sure.

You guessed right.

Yes and no! It's easy to make a function in Scheme that inserts a
\newpage at every sufficiently long rest, but that's not what you
want since that would make some pages almost empty. Even if LilyPond
had full control over the page layout, it would be difficult to
implement a page breaking algorithm that's clever enough.

In my experience, this is one thing that requires some trial and
error even when you do it manually (which is easy to do in LilyPond
by inserting some \newpage commands).

    /Mats