Joining text?

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Joining text?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:25:14 -0600

[Lilypond 1.7.27 / SuSE 8.2]

I have some vocals, mainly in Italian, where two words (or the last
syllable of a word and the first syllable of the next word) are handled
on the same note.  In the source, these are joined using what looks like
a 'tie' in the lyrics.

A few questions

1) Can this lyrics tie be handled in Lilypond?
2) What is this effect and/or tie called? (so I can try to look it up in
the documentation)
3) Has this been discussed in the list?  (Roughly when? so I can try to
look it up in the archives)
4) How do others simulate this?

TIA
/Hans