Re: Project - Emacs mode extensions for LilyPond

From: Francois Pinard
Subject: Re: Project - Emacs mode extensions for LilyPond
Date: 31 Jul 2003 21:18:59 -0400

[Ferenc Wagner]

> 2. Lots of people use sly, which has a different input format and is
> also worth supporting.

Aaron also mentioned `sly' very recently.  What is `sly'?

> 1. Instead of ALSA you could target something more general, like Jack
> for instance.

I recently noticed Jack (the name) while installing SuSE 8.2, but without
knowing what it is.  It seemed to me that whenever Jack is needed, Jmax
seems to be a possible replacement.  I'm giving the `rpm -qi' output for
both, below.

Would someone have some experience about these two?  Does Jack run on top
of ALSA, or OSS, or something else?  What generality are we seeking here?
Is it theoretical?  I mean, what would be the practical advantages of
using Jack over ALSA?

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
Name        : jack                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.50.0                            Vendor: SuSE Linux AG,
Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 25                            Build Date: lun 17 mar 2003
12:13:31 EST
Install date: jeu 24 jui 2003 14:44:18 EDT      Build Host: herstein.suse.de
Group       : System/Sound Daemons          Source RPM: jack-0.50.0-25.src.rpm
Size        : 263400                           License: GPL
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
URL         : http://jackit.sourceforge.net
Summary     : Jack Audio Connection Kit
Description :
JACK is a low-latency audio server, written primarily for the Linux operating
system. It can connect a number of different applications to an audio device,
as well as allowing them to share audio between themselves. Its clients can run
in their own processes (ie. as a normal application), or can they can run
within a JACK server (ie. as a "plugin").

Authors:
--------
    address@hidden

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
Name        : jmax                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 4.0.0                             Vendor: SuSE Linux AG,
Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 35                            Build Date: lun 17 mar 2003
12:37:02 EST
Install date: jeu 31 jui 2003 21:00:20 EDT      Build Host: Zert146.suse.de
Group       : Productivity/Multimedia/Sound/Midi   Source RPM:
jmax-4.0.0-35.src.rpm
Size        : 3812040                          License: GPL
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
Summary     : a visual programming environment for real-time, interactive
multimedia applications
Description :
jMax is a visual programming environment for developing real-time,interactive
multimedia applications.

Authors:
--------
    IRCAM <address@hidden>