Re: New website

From: Tyler Eaves
Subject: Re: New website
Date: 07 Aug 2003 13:11:24 -0400

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 12:32, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> (Taking this to the list again... )
>
> Tyler: can you double check your email setup: I get
>
>       The original message was received at Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:27:58 +0200
> (CEST)
>       from byrd.xs4all.nl [213.84.26.127]
>
>          ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>       <address@hidden>
>           (reason: 550 5.7.1 <address@hidden>... Relaying denied)
>
>          ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>       ... while talking to mail.tylereaves.com.:
>       >>> RCPT To:<address@hidden>
>       <<< 550 5.7.1 <address@hidden>... Relaying denied
>       550 5.1.1 <address@hidden>... User unknown
>
>       --h77GRxKO076150.1060273679/smtpzilla5.xs4all.nl

Oops, I meant to send with my address@hidden address. Didn't mean to
let that other address into the wild quite yet...

> address@hidden writes:
> > I'm gratified that you use python for the page generation, as that is my
> > preferred language to work with.
>
> Cool !
>
> You'll notice that the handling of Home URL is a rather ugh, that
> will have to be rewritten if the script takes on bigger proportions.
>
> > After examining the site, I've identified a few things about the site
> > that I think could be improved on a bit.
> >
> > 1. Needs a logo. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but we need
> > something that can serve as a graphical identifier.
>
> We still have the old logo (which is also under switch/ )

You mean cello lady? I'm thinking along the lines, of, say, the PHP
logo. In other words, the word Lilypond in an ellipse or something. Just
something nice and clean to put at the top of a page. Also appropriate
for other sites to use as a link button, etc.

> > 2. Navigation links. Not sure quite how this should be done, but Ill
> > play with it. The current version doesn't show a clear heirarchy.
>
> What do you mean ?
>
> (for the top bars, I was envisaging tabs by setting alternating bg colors,
> i.e.

>     l1   ...[l2]...   l3     l4
>     ...............        .....
>     m1.......m2....  [m3]  ..m4.
> (. denotes a different color).

I agree, that makes sense. my comments solely correspond to the site as
it exists now.

> I think that it should be possible with tables. For the moment I
> prefer not to use pngs for buttons and the like.
>

> > 3. General look. The all white page isn't as clear as it could be.
> > Subtle color variations for headers, navigation,etc can be very
> > effective. See http://php.net for an example. (Note: I think the php.net
> > homepage is overly cluttered, but I do like the use of color.)
>
> I'd like to use a light shade of yellow (similar to music paper) for
> the default background. One of the problems is that the music images
> have white backgrounds, which looks awful.  They should be converted
> to RGB-ALPHA (or gray/alpha). I didn't have time to figure that out,
> but I suppose that a gimp script could do it.

That's not quite what I mean. I'm thinking more along the lines of the
areas at the top and bottom of the page (header/nav links and footer)
being a different color than the content area. That yellow would work.
The idea is to make the various parts of the page obviously deliniated,
the same purpose the horizontal rules play now, but more obvious.

> > 4. Where'd the online doc go?
>
> It is sort of a dilemma: for first time visitors it's not interesting,
> but frequent users manage to miss the link on the front page.
>
> (See "Quick links" at the front page)

This seems rather like putting the cart before the horse to me. When a
website visitor sees a navigation menu, they expect ALL important (and
even not so important) parts of the site to listed. Personally, I think
the large image, while pretty, is very counter productive. With a
browser maximised on my Gnome desktop, Quick Links actually ends up
BELOW the scroll, which makes it very easy to miss.