Re: New website

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: New website
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:19:29 +0200

(BTW, If noone objects, I propose to move this discussion to lilypond-devel)

address@hidden writes:
> > > 1. Needs a logo. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but we need
> > > something that can serve as a graphical identifier.
> >
> > We still have the old logo (which is also under switch/ )
>
> You mean cello lady? I'm thinking along the lines, of, say, the PHP
> logo. In other words, the word Lilypond in an ellipse or something. Just
> something nice and clean to put at the top of a page. Also appropriate
> for other sites to use as a link button, etc.

ok. Maybe "LilyPond" with a stylized waterlily on top or below.  Or
the cello lady could be stylized.

> That's not quite what I mean. I'm thinking more along the lines of the
> areas at the top and bottom of the page (header/nav links and footer)
> being a different color than the content area. That yellow would work.
> The idea is to make the various parts of the page obviously deliniated,
> the same purpose the horizontal rules play now, but more obvious.

Of course, good idea.

> This seems rather like putting the cart before the horse to me. When a
> website visitor sees a navigation menu, they expect ALL important (and
> even not so important) parts of the site to listed.

Good point. How's this? (just added a simple documentation entry).

> Personally, I think
> the large image, while pretty, is very counter productive. With a
> browser maximised on my Gnome desktop, Quick Links actually ends up
> BELOW the scroll, which makes it very easy to miss.

Hmm. A question of layout? the space left & right of the image are
unused. Maybe if we put it somewhere else?

(I think every page should have a picture to make it more attractive)

I'm running at 1600x1200, I suppose that I'm a little spoiled.