Re: some problems

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: some problems
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:20:47 +0100

Stefaan Himpe wrote:
>> 3) it seems that notes from different voices cannot be tied together.
>>     Is this an inherent restriction of Lilypond or a bug ? Is there a
>>     reason for this? IIRC I saw mentioned somewhere that slurs need
>>     to remain within one voice, but is this also true for ties? And
>> why?

Yes. A "voice" is considered as an independent line of music played by one
instrument.  If you want the instrument to change on the second of two tied
notes, then that should be considered as a separate voice. If you don't want
the instrument to change, then you are logically remaining in the same
voice.

If you really want to typeset notes in different voices as tied, for example
to give the effect of a seamless transition between voices, you might be
able to fake it by duplicating the same note in each voice, and making the
note head and stem invisible in one of the voices. See, for example, the
"blank notes" trick:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.8/input/test/out-www/lily-103844006.ly

--
chris