Re: Thanks for lillypond

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Thanks for lillypond
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:37:05 +0200

Jan Kavan writes:

Hi!

> just today I came over your magnificient software and I really have
> to say "wow"!  I've never seen so fast notation. I just gave it a test
> run and after 3 hours I finished 3rd prelude from Bach for solo
> cello.

Thanks!  By the way, you know about Mutopia (www.mutopiaproject.org?)
The first, second and I think fourth suite are already there.

> It's btw. cribbed from very rare edition (I played it even with this
> bowings :-))

(except from weird bowings :-)

> I also came around a few "bugs",
> this:
> << c, as' d b' >>4-~ < { b''16 c b c b c b c } \\ {
>  d,16 e d e d e d e } > << d, b'>>2.^\trill

This is a feature (and it is becoming a FAQ).  You cannot tie from one
voice to another.  Two tied notes should be in the same voice,
LilyPond `helps' you to remember that.

I think that in your example the first chord is notated incorrectly
(IMHO, of course); it is acutally two voices; and thus the notation
should show that there are two voices; something like:

\score{

    \notes\context Thread="cello" \relative c {
        \clef bass
        << c, as' d b' >>4-~ < { b''16 c b c b c b c } \\ {
            d,16 e d e d e d e } > << d, b'>>2.^\trill
        \break

        < { b'4 ~  b16 c b c b c b c b2. }
          \\
          { <<c,, as' d>>4 ~ d'16 e d e d e d e d2. } >

        \break

What edition are you copying from, may I ask?

> One think worries me a lot. It sounds like you don't plan
> to support contemporary music a lot. I, being contemporary composer
> and also cello player playing mainly modern music would certainly
> like to help you with this issue (I am a programmer as well),

Yes, please do.  You are very welcome.  What specific notation
features would you have in mind?  We try to take things one step at a
time.

> because this would be great and certainly widen the fan base.  Just
> if you will be in mood, drop a line about current thoughts there...

[Juergen, Han-Wen, comments?]

> BUT! Thanks again for this wonderfull piece of work. Finale suffered
> today earthquake, which really shake down part of its unreplacibility.

Thanks again!
Jan.