lily.scm and other problems.

From: Eric Gebhart
Subject: lily.scm and other problems.
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:48:45 -0400

I'm new to lilypond, I'm having some strange problems.

I'm using 1.6.12, 1.8 won't compile for me.

I had tried the FreeBSD port of 1.6 but that install
did not work.  So I started over with the tarball.

I'm further along than the port got me.  It appears
to work, mostly.  ly2dvi gives no errors.  But the
output is wrong.

I'm using an example from the 1.6 doc.  I've added
a few notes inserted at the beginning. - followed by a bar.

I got my example here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/More-basics.html#More%20basics

All the notes come out as quarter notes. until it gets
to the r4 after the \bar.

After the r4 the output looks close to what
is doc'd.  But not quite.  none of the ties work.
the last eigth note is the b on the second line of
notes after the bar.  Everything except the c''is2
is a quarter note after that.

Some of the stems are too short.  there are no beams.
and there are  no lines for notes that fall above or
below the staff.

 \score {
    \notes {
      \time 4/4
      \key d \minor
      \clef violin
      c''8 e'8 e'8 d''16 d'' r4 c8 b8
\bar "|"
      r4 r8 d''8 cis''4 e''
      d''8 a'4. ~ a' b'8
      cis''4 cis''8 cis'' bis'4 d''8 cis'' ~
      cis''2 r2
      a4. g16 b a c b d c4
      }
    \paper { }
  }

Running ly2dvi in emacs (ctl-c ctl-d) I get no errors.
cd /home/eric/music/
ly2dvi /home/eric/music/foo4.ly
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/pre.py:94: DeprecationWarning: Please use the 're'
module, not the 'pre' module
  DeprecationWarning)
Running LilyPond...
GNU LilyPond 1.6.12
Now processing: `/home/eric/music/foo4.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[7]
Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions... [3][6][7]
paper output to `foo4.tex'...

Analyzing foo4.tex...
Running LaTeX...
DVI output to `foo4.dvi'...

2Dvi finished at Sun Aug 17 15:47:44

Running lilypond in emacs (ctl-c ctl-l) I get;

cd /home/eric/music/
lilypond /home/eric/music/foo4.ly
GNU LilyPond 1.6.12
Now processing: `/home/eric/music/foo4.ly'
Parsing...
error: can't find `feta20.afm'
Fonts have not been installed properly.  Aborting

LilyPond exited abnormally with code 1 at Sun Aug 17 15:24:33

anyone have any clues?

thanks,

Eric