Re: guile for lilypond on Red Hat 9

From: Christopher Ellis
Subject: Re: guile for lilypond on Red Hat 9
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:09:23 -0700 (PDT)

Peter,

A little while back I was trying to figure out how to
get lilypond 1.8 on RH9.  Make sure that you have read
the following archived message titled "problems trying
out 1.7.29-1 and 30-1" so Han-Wen won't have to repeat
the message.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-08/msg00111.html

This one may not have caught your eye (because of the
title) but it is relevant to your problem.  Just to
let you know, I never got lily 1.8 running on RH9.  I
even went to the trouble of doing a "minimal," fresh
install of Redhat without any guile on the system.  I
was able to install the guile-1.6.4-7.1.i386.rpm, but
there was no difference.  I got the same errors I
always got.  I finally gave up on RH9 because of some
rpm weirdness.  It was telling me things were not
installed that were, things were installed that were
not, and it hanged a lot of times.  I am speaking of
the command line rpm.  Make sure that you are using
the command line rpm and not the software installer or
whatever its called.  Anyway, I felt guilty asking for
more help when my system seemed to be playing with my
mind.  I switched to mandrake 9.1 and lilypond 1.7.23.
 Please post back if you get something to work as I am
sure there are others in this situation waiting to
hear of someone else having success.

Chris